Venture Southland can help your business grow and expand by providing advice on funding for research and development projects, export and market intelligence, and getting investment ready.
Our business staff provide information on the following areas:
As the Regional Business Partner, Venture Southland is able to offer New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE) Capability Development vouchers. The vouchers can co-fund up to 50% of the cost of training offered by registered providers for up to a maximum of $5,000 per year per business.
Businesses that are GST registered are eligible to access NZTE Capability Development Vouchers. There is a wide range of training, workshops, courses and coaching that the vouchers can be used for, all of which will help to build management capabilities and drive business success. NZTE voucher funding is available each year.
There are a number of areas within your business that you can get assistance for including;
- Business planning
- Business systems
- Business sustainability and capital raising
- Lean manufacturing / business operations
- Managing resources and marketing
For more information, including eligibility criteria, go to
If you are looking at exporting or boosting your current global reach, New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE) can help improve your export market or international marketing knowledge.
Below is a link to the NZTE advice on exporting. The ‘Thinking about Exporting’ sections contain useful prompts which can help in your decision making process. There is also a market information tool to the that enables you to get a clearer picture of current or potential markets.
If you have specific queries about exporting or expanding your international market please contact Alistair Adam
Support to Access Research and Development Funding
Supporting research and development is a strategic priority of the Government and therefore funding is available from Callaghan Innovation to cover 30% – 50% of costs for projects, which have the following characteristics:
- Technical stretch – They address a currently unsolved problem, where no off-the-peg or design and build solution is available. The project needs to be outside the day-to-day scope of your business operations, requiring outside expertise to complete.
- Return on investment and spill-over benefits – Government investment in the project will result in considerable benefits to your business, the industry and New Zealand, which would not have been possible or very difficult to achieve, without the investment.
- Capacity to deliver – The business running the project can show their financial and technical ability to deliver the project
- Pathway to market – The business has a clear plan to commercialise and bring the product to market.
If you have an idea for an research and development project then it’s a good idea to talk to us about it early. Research and development funding is not available retrospectively and there is no funding for commercialisation or marketing, only for the research and development element of the project.
Venture Southland can help you understand the application process and put together your proposal to access funding for training to build your skills and experience.